Monday 1 June 2009

May 31 at the Jazz Cafe London

No ethical floundering today.
Last night my son and I saw/heard two exponents of singing and playing solo piano in their related, but different styles - Charlie Wood and Jon Cleary.

I would have wanted to see Jon Cleary whoever was opening for him, but Charlie Wood was a definite bonus. I know only one of his albums - "South bound", and it features him mainly on organ with a band. The striking thing about this album for me when I first heard it was the way in which he combines a completely credible and authentic urban jazz/blues style with quite cerebral lyrics - E.G. when did you last hear a song of this type allude to "A play by Sophocles"? A song which starts, very much true to it roots, with the lines:
There have been good times,
There have been bad times;
But mostly they've been in between.

Really good voice; good pitch, faultless musical articulation, very important with his highly ornamented singing style. He started and finished with songs not by him - Paul Simon and Professor Longhair respectively. The Simon song was a completely Charlie Wood take on "american Tune", a very apt opener for an American in a foreign land.
His own songs were delivered with great finesse. The only problem for the chattering classes who attend such gigs is that you actually have to listen to what the guy's saying. I mean really! Paying all that money and having to listen as well? Ridiculous!

That prompts a whole other tangent on our relationship with live music; but not right now.



The Professor Longhair song with which Charlie Wood finished was the classic Tipotena. Interestingly, Jon Cleary was to play that later in his set, and it summed up these two performers completely.

Cleary was definitely the main event from the crowd's point of view, and I thoroughly understand why. He's more stylistically definable, classic Neworleans plus funk. He's a better piano player than Charlie Wood, and a better entertainer, in that he's more direct, more in your face boogie, with a good slightly edgy voice, in contrast to Wood's polished urbane smoothness.

Cleary got the crowd rocking, and he deserved to.

I am somewhat envious of this man, in that he has played a lot in Bonnie Raitt's touring band, a gig which I would cheerfully do for nothing.

But, seriously, with Jon Cleary's rapturous reception ringing in my ears, I couldn't help feeling a little sorry that Charlie Wood just didn't have what it took to knock this Jazz Cafe crowd out, although I personally think he's more subtle and interesting. But then if the ancient Roman populous had a choice between a display of votive dancing, and Christians being thrown to ravening lions, there's not too much argument about which would draw the larger audience.

2 comments:

  1. Reg, it's wonderful that your performance went so well. But when are you going to post a sample of your music? When I was on Blogger, I used Box.net to host a couple of piano pieces that I put up on my blog. That doesn't work anymore, now that I'm on Wordpress, but it would work for you. And since you're not a total hack (unlike some of us!) it would be a treat. I'd understand, of course, if you're not interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sungold

    If you do music for a living as I do, it's good to be in the audience for a change, as I was last Sunday. It's something I'm trying to do more of. Naturally, whenever we're observing someone else doing what we do, our perspective is different, perhaps more analytical. But it certainly didn't stop me enjoying those two fine, very different, players.

    When I'm playing, I'm very aware of the crowd. Last Sunday, from the audience, I was reminded of both the question of how we, as the public, listen to live music in different situations, and how its performers feel about it. Post on that coming soon.



    I do mean to put some musical examples of my own efforts up here. Screen reader friendly solution required. It will happen.

    Thanks for the response.

    Good Tuesday one and all.

    ReplyDelete