Sunday 6 June 2010

"The Ghost In The Machine"

Hardly an original title, but it sums up my current preoccupation.

Two posts on one of Ann's blogs got me started. And please don't follow that link right now. If you do, as I did a couple of years ago, you might never come back, and I haven't finished yet. Today's prescribed reading list is this post, in which she cites this one, and this post, in which she cites this one.

OK, got all that?
The themes raised by all those posts are interesting in themselves, and very well expressed; so I certainly don't propose to attempt to gild those lillies. But they got me thinking about humans as reasoning machines and as spiritual beings. Do the latter exist? If so, can they be in any way separated from the former, or how do we synthesise these two constituent parts of ourselves in daily practice?

Our powers of reason are brought to bear as soon as we seek to describe anything. We may feel prompted to make a particular ethical choice. Does that prompting come from the same source as our attempt to answer the question "why was I so prompted?" It may do, but I don't feel it does. We should use our eason to scrutinise such feelings as best we may, but as with religious faith or love, we can't deny the reality of a feeling or impulse simply because we can't precisely explain or define it. We yearn for neatness, for tractability, for what Writing Kaye calls "One True Wayism". This is great of course as long as we are the pilgrims on that particular "True Way" (see Ann on the fundamentalist Christian moral position).

Neatness elludes us. To take Ann's 2 posts as examples, we strive for clarity in our ethical choices, perhaps wanting to get closer to scientific standards of discussion, in order to avoid the common confusions, such as someone insisting that you must accept the inerrantcy of scripture simply because they believe it. And yet, when thinking of her creative aspirations, Ann finds herself inexorably drawn into metaphysics again, as Susan Yanos talks about the transformative power of writing, or creativity in general
:
"Although the writing process is not the only place to engage in such transformational dialogue with the Spirit, it is a powerfully effective place because of its concern both for questions of meaning and for questions of technique:
what we know and how we have come to know it."
"The Spirit" refuses to go away. We may simply be the result of brain chemistry and learned experience, but it seems that most of us don't feel as if we are. This may mean nothing of course but, however unscientific in a narrow sense, I think we cannot simply ignore our convictions because we can't prove them to be true.
I should perhaps say that, in taking examples from Ann's posts, I wasn't seeking to expose inconsistency so much as pointing out that the rational and the metaphysical are endemic to the human condition. We try to consider them as if they were completely separate, but they both inhabit the same person, and refuse to be dealt with separately for long. We seem to need both. When wearing our rational or our spiritual hats, we may appear to deny the other. Synthesis is the hard part. Perhaps we should devote our prime attention to living life, and demote tryin to make sense of it to the category of things which are merely very interesting. But that search for synthesis is, persistently, very interesting.

As an after-thought, if the question of whether our brain chemistry gives us access to our spirituality, or whether it simply creates the illusion of spirituality, were not confusing enough, you might take a look, and have a listen to this audio magazine on current research into mystical experience, accessed by hallucinogens or non-chemical techniques. It may surprise you. Let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, great thoughts, but excellent advice about devoting our time to living instead of speculation. Yet, we are speculating animals. We can't seem to help ourselves. In fact, I'd say that given all the speculation out there it's a form of recreation. If someone ever did solve the mysteries of the universe, I think we'd all be disappointed like children after their toys are taken away. (smile) I know I'd be sitting there wondering what next? You're right though. Living is the prime mover. Speculating is a spectator sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The act of creating is a spiritual or mystical act even if you are a rational thinker. Becoming momentarily obsessed by a sculpture you are making, or a poem or song you are writing is a very spiritual/mystical experience. I have lived many years of my life in the company of artists and all of them have become so intrinsically wrapped up in their creativity that living in a rational way in the world has become secondary. I am personally intrigued by the way these choices seem to satisfy their needs, though not the needs of the people they are involved with, necessarily. Many forms of creativity are solitary as well, which of its own accord then makes the act exclusionary. It becomes a personal spiritual experience to create. It is an interesting discussion, because religion is based on the myth of creation, therefore is religion the expression for many of creativity that may be missing in their lives? Also, I don't seem to find synthesis of these two parts of myself difficult, but I am greatly affected by my environment, in that most things I see, hear, feel, touch or taste have an affect on me, generally spiritual. For instance, I may smell the scent of a rose while I am weeding and the scent stimulates a memory or perhaps a piece of verse or maybe a poem. Sometimes I stop and write my thoughts down, and sometimes I just appreciate the moment. I need the mystical in my life to survive, to feed my creativity, but I need the rational to pay for my wireless internet so I can ponder these things. I appreciate both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both ffor your comments.

    Anything that feels like knowledge is uncertain, "For we know in part". Ptolomy probably thought he had the universe sorted out. Astronomy and astrology were neatly integrated, and everything went around the earth in ordered mathematical harmony. Wrong!

    The "life is chemical" kind of rationalist doesn't have to worry about how we feel. The mystical experience might just be an evolved response to get us through bad times. An organism whichhad evolved this trait might be better able to survive. The sense of the presence of some god or goddess who had the power to make the next harvest better, might stop you throwing yourself over a cliff in black despair.

    This - I'll call it "The chemical position" - appeals to rationalists because it speaks to them in their own terms. It is plausible and arguable. Do I personally feel that this makes it true? No I don't; but this doesn't have to matter to the rationalist, because my feelings are just a complex mix of chemistry and conditioned responses. Near death experiences are either an evolved calming screen saver that comes up at shut down, or an illusion generated by oxygen deprivation. It's all very neat, and they don't have to grapple with anything outside of concrete verifiable experience.

    The arrogance of this position is to say that, because it is plausibly arguable and cannot, currently, be disproved, it therefore must be true.
    There is a corresponding arrogance among many religionists of course. It says that what they know to be true for them has to be true for you, and that your salvation depends upon it. All this certainty has to be based on scriptural authority. This must be defended at all costs, because, if it's not infallibly true, not only could they not convince you of their version of truth, the whole basis of their belief system would be at risk. They therefore have to rely on what, as Ann pointed out to me the other day, is the tortological argument which states that the word of God is true because God says it is.

    So, much sound and fury, leaving us caught between warring arrogances. I'm drawn to the rational position for the reasons I gave, but I know, on a purely personal and externally unprovable basis that there is a spiritual dimension to life in general, and to my life in particular, if I choose to cultivate it. It may all be chemical. I think it might be, but i feel that it isn't. Thought and feeling have to co-exist. Maybe that's our homework.

    ReplyDelete